Wednesday, July 28, 2010

She's Two!

Believe it or not, my little girl is now TWO! It seems like just yesterday I was bringing her home from the hospital. I just can't believe how fast she's grown up. During our last trip to KC, we had Meredith take Charlotte's two year pictures. I know I'm partial, but have you ever seen such a beautiful little girl? I just love those eyes and curls. She will never date. Her daddy will not allow it.

We joke about Charlotte being fearless. She is such an adventure girl! She loves to be outside and has spent a lot of time in the neighbor's pool. She will jump in all by herself. We have to keep an eye on her at all times because she will jump right in without us looking. Like I said, fearless. She also loves to ride in the Mustang and will scream when Matthew takes sharp turns, even when cruising in the Escort. It's pretty hilarious.


She is constantly stopped by strangers to tell her how cute or beautiful she is. I know, I know, most kids are cute, but it seems like whenever we go out, someone will stop us. It's those eyes! Have you ever seen eyes so blue? And then put those blond curls on top of it? She grows more beautiful every day and every day Matthew gets closer to purchasing a gun. We're already dreading the teenage years.


She plays really well by herself. Sometimes she just wants some quiet time with her books or her play-doh. It's so nice to see her imagination at work and just watch her play. I can't wait to see her play/boss around her little sister. Oh, the fun that will be had!


Charlotte is currently obsessed with Elmo. We brought along a portable DVD player to make the trip to Florida a little more bearable and brought Sesame Street DVDs. Now at least three million times a day we hear, "Elmo?" Her current favorite clip is "Elmo's Riding". The song is amazingly cute and we don't mind listening to it over and over (and over and over) again. She's even started to sing it. She sings it in tune, too, which is pretty adorable. She's got the chorus down pat.


We're working on potty training. She's doing a great job, but some days she wants NOTHING to do with the potty. She does, however, like to have her dolls and "puppies" (all things stuffed) go potty. We always give high fives after she uses the toilet, so we often have Charlotte come into the living with her dolls or puppies and tell us "High five" and make us give her doll a high five. Again, pretty darn adorable.


Her language skills grow every day. We're reminded on a daily basis how literal toddlers can be. For example, we're working on please and thank you. We're trying to get her to say it on her own, but usually she needs to be prompted. A couple of weeks ago, Matt was trying to get her to say please after she asked for more, so he said "More......?" and gestured as if he were waiting for something by moving his hand in a circular motion. Charlotte thought he wanted her to move her hands. Now when we hold the word out, waiting for the please, she smiles, holds the word out like us, and moves her hands, wheels-on-the-bus style. So cute.


In a similar vein, I've been having her ask for things "nicely". Around the same time, Charlotte would pick things up and bring them to me and say "Nice!" I thought she was just telling me she liked her toys. I didn't figure out what she really meant until I told her to ask nicely for the "fishes" (Finding Nemo") and she said, very deliberately, "Nice!"


She's starting to be very sweet and gentle with her sister. The other night she was laying down next to her and they were "talking" to each other. She's also very concerned when baby cries and will give her the pacifier. She was stroking her hair this morning while Audrey was looking at her. So tender. And again, adorable.


Charlotte is such a blessing in our lives. I love her a little more each day. It's amazing to watch her develop into this toddler. Happy Birthday, Bean! Mommy loves you more than you will ever know!







1 comment:

Meredith said...

Happy Birthday to Charlotte!!!! She IS amazingly cute!!! I love her. :)