Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Thanksgiving 2011- Part II

Later that day, we headed out to the Dimmitt's home in Lee's Summit.  My aunt has hosted Thanksgiving for my family ever since Matt and I first started dating and spending holidays together.  She invited my parents for Thanksgiving the first year I went to Matt's family's so I would be able to spend the holiday with my family, too.  She's been stuck ever since!  :)  The feast has grown and this year I think the total  was 25 people for dinner- four siblings, four spouses, eight children, five significant others and four grandchildren. It was a full house!

Shortly after we arrived, we had our large family Christmas party.  This was the only time during the holiday season that all of us were going to be in the same city at the same time, so we decided to have our gift exchange early this year.  For the past couple of years, we've moved from drawing names and purchasing a gift for that person to giving homemade gifts to each family unit and buying gifts for the kiddos.  There have been some amazing gifts made!  Our family is quite creative.  My mom and I made and canned some cranberry goodies and put them in baskets with cranberry bread and cranberry butter.  I really enjoyed taste-testing.  :)
Ted and I picking out our pens made by my Uncle Dan.  He is quite the woodworker and made some beautiful pens out of wood for everyone.  My horrible description does not do the pens justice- they are works of art!

Audrey and Papa "With the Cats", not to be confused with Papa "Dinosaur" (Kirk) or Papa "with Edie" (Tom).   Charlotte has chosen very descriptive ways to distinguish her Papas.  :)

The kids opening their presents.  It was beautiful chaos.  :)

Uncle Ted trying to win over Audrey by forcing her blood to her brain.


Audrey and her new book with bird calls from the Hopmanns and Slaters.

Audrey and her new grocery cart from the Van Nests.

The Slaters- my cousin Amy, her husband Jeff and their new little one, Ricky.  This was the first time I met the new little guy!

Audrey has her own baby!  Yay!

Stephanie and Derek reading together.  Derek's shirt announced their newest surprise- he's going to be a big brother!  His shirt was the first thing I noticed when I walked in the door.  I'm so excited for the Dimmitts and baby #2!  I'm saying right now- my vote is girl for 2012!


The yearly picture with the turkey.  I'm afraid this is as good as we could get and I fear it is only going to get worse.  Ricky had already gone to bed, so he missed the picture this year.  Next year he'll be there along with Derek's new little brother or sister!

Audrey eating olives the same way her mommy did when she was little.  The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Morgan and a lap full of cousins.

My dad embarking on his yearly task- picking the turkey carcass clean.  Every year he salvages every last piece of edible meat from the turkey bones.  It is a rare and coveted talent.  This picture represents so much of Thanksgiving to me- my dad and his incredibly patient nature, my mom and Audrey playing in the background, Charlotte and Derek not in the picture, but surely around, playing together.  I can hear the sound of my family all around when I see this picture and it makes me so happy.  I washed Dad out with the flash, but I see myself printing this picture anyway and hanging on to it for years and years to come.  This is why Thanksgiving is 100% my favorite holiday.  It is all about family and spending time with loved ones.  Beautiful, lovely, chaos.

Again, washed out, but so precious!  You're not going to get a natural smile out of my mom very often for a picture- the wonder of grandchildren!

Dessert at the "kids" table.

Audrey taking Charlotte's new toy for a ride.

Eating, talking, and making wonderful family memories.  It was a lovely day, a lovely holiday and I am excited our family continues to grow.  Happy Thanksgiving!  Let the Christmas holiday begin...

1 comment:

Meredith said...

Makes me excited for Christmas!

I love that your dad picks the turkey clean. I definitely do not have the patience for that!