As we get closer to Charlotte's first birthday, I've been thinking a lot about this past year. I can't believe how quickly it's gone and how much I've learned in just 12 months of parenthood. It has been incredibly challenging at times (teething is NOT fun!), but it has been so rewarding in so many little ways that it almost makes me forget about the rough nights or the fussy evenings. Every time that little girl smiles at me I have such an overwhelming feeling of love. And I thought I loved my husband. :)
Matt and I became parents a little quicker than we expected. We were incredibly blessed in that department. We were lucky to not have to struggle. My pregnancy was relatively easy and despite the fact that Charlotte was so comfortable she had to be evicted from my uterus, the labor went smoothly as well. Charlotte was a big, healthy baby and has had a happy and healthy first year of life. We are SO blessed. It is easy to forget sometimes that not everyone is as blessed.
My good friend from high school is FINALLY pregnant after an incredible struggle with infertility. I am so excited for her and her family and cannot wait to meet little Mr. Blake! But every time I read about her struggle, it was a little reminder of how lucky Matt and I are to have Charlotte. Congratulations, Jana. I am so so so so happy for you!
Recently I have had a daily reminder of what a miracle a healthy baby is. Someone I "know" from an internet cooking board had a very difficult time getting pregnant and ultimately turned to IVF. She found out she was pregnant (a miracle!) and then found out it was triplets. She started a blog and I have been following it since she started it. Things started to get a little shaky and a couple of weeks ago, the three miracles were born at about 25 weeks. The three have struggled and fought for each breath each day since their birth. Their parents have been riding the NICU roller coaster and I am just amazed by their strength, positive attitudes and courage.
Every day I read their updates and every day I am moved to tears. I usually check their blog after Charlotte has gone to sleep and almost every time I feel the need to watch my beautiful, healthy, angel of a daughter and thank God for the miracle with which he has blessed me. I was on the phone with a good friend from law school the other day and she said something that has stuck with me since our conversation. She wished Charlotte a happy birthday, but she also wished me a happy birthday. She said it was a day for me to celebrate as well. I survived my first year as a mommy. I have to say, though, Charlotte makes it pretty easy to be a mommy. :)
I guess the point of this post (if you're still reading!) is that I love my daughter. I am so blessed to be Charlotte's mommy and I look forward to being her mother for the rest of my life. Happy birthday, Charlotte. I love you more than you will ever know.
1 comment:
I think she will know one day - as my mother always said - just wait until you're a parent :-).
Post a Comment