Saturday, April 30, 2011

Fun Times with Old Friends

A couple of weekends ago we went to Hallsville to visit my best friend, Kristin, and her family. Matt, Kristin, and her husband, Peter, all met freshman year of college. They lived on the first floor of Hudson and were part of the same FIG (freshman interest group). I had met Kristin through our friend Meredith before Matt and I started dating, but we became really good friends sophomore year. He wanted a "guys night", so as to not feel bad about leaving me alone, he told me to come over to his dorm and have a girls' night with Kristin and another girl on the floor, Karen. After three consecutive hours of Mario Kart, we all became pretty good friends. I was Kristin's maid of honor and she was the matron of honor in mine. We've grown up and started families, but spending time with Kristin is always nice. It's like picking up right where we left off, even if there are months between conversations. Those are the best kind of friends. :)

It had been a loooong time since I had spent more than a few hours with Kristin (probably since right before she got married), so when Kristin and Peter moved from Columbia to Hallsville, they invited us over for the weekend to show us their new home and spend some quality time with their family. It was one of the best weekends I have had in a very long time! Peter made us french toast for breakfast and then we took a walk to the park, where the kids played and the grownups caught up. It was nice. We picked up some Casey's pizza for lunch (yum!) and then I finally got some nice time to chat with Kristin while the kids napped. Hamburgers for dinner and then we hit the road at bedtime. It was fabulous. I can't wait to do it again!

Unfortunately I am a parental failure and forgot to bring our camera. Peter took a few and sent them to me, so here are the only three photos documenting the trip.

The kiddos right before we left for the park. Charlotte rode along with Cole and Emmalee while Audrey had a stroller. Charlotte could not get enough of Emmalee. She worshiped her! Emmalee just turned five this past November (yikes), so I think she liked playing the mother hen. For days after we got home, Charlotte would ask me if we were going to see Emmalee. After I told her no, she would say "Hopefully soon". It was too cute. She had so much fun with Emmalee.

Off exploring with Emmalee.

Hanging out with Cole (he just turned 3 in February).