Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Road Trip! Stop 1- Hannibal, MO, Day 3

So this backward posting thing is going to make the vacation stuff a little out of order, but I was selecting pictures to post, I realized that I had MANY pictures I wanted to share and did not want to make a 50 picture post, so it's going to be broken down.  And a little out of order, ultimately, because I had already uploaded some pictures and I'm too lazy to delete them and start another post.  Sorry.  Not really, though.

The first full week of June we headed out on a road trip up the river road, seeing some neat parts of this state in particular that we had never seen before.  We went with Matt's mom and step-dad and had a good time exploring with them.  Our first stop was Hannibal, MO, boyhood town of Mark Twain.  Let me tell you, you just have to drive through this town to know that Mark Twain spent some time here.  EVERYTHING is Mark Twain this, Mark Twain that.  Convenience store?  Mark Twain Stop and Go.  Restaurant?  Mark Twain Diner.  Hotel?  Mark Twain Hotel.  Ok, I get it.  Mark Twain connection.  That being said, it was actually a lot cooler than I expected.  I had never been, so I was interested to see whether or not it was just a dying small town or had more to offer.  I'll call it a little bit of both.  But before I get ahead of myself and start posting from the beginning (does that make it getting behind myself?), I'll just post about the pictures I currently have waiting below this text to be organized in an interesting yet logical presentation.

Our last night in Hannibal we went on a River Boat cruise for dinner.  Dinner was surprisingly tasty.  We had tried to go the night before, but only 3 other people had made a reservation, so they had to cancel it.  Red flag for Matthew and me.  We started to worry about the price and whether the dinner would be any good, but luckily, we were pleasantly surprised.  The river level had also gone down enough that we were able to depart from their normal dock instead of the high water dock, so it was a little less weird.


Dinner was buffet style with a really tasty chicken option that both Charlotte and Audrey devoured.  It was standard "comfort food" fair, but pretty well down for a buffet.  The girls played at the table before and during dinner.  We had a table right by a window, so both girls spent some time looking out the window at the passing barges and the moving water.  Charlotte really liked watching the boats on the river.  She was allowed to pick out one souvenir at the dock and she picked a small wooden boat that she played with all through dinner and most of the trip.  It is currently laying forgotten in one of the toy bins.  Isn't that how it always seems to go?

There were a lot of these really disgusting river bugs that seemed to be everywhere along the river and quite a few seemed to be hanging out around our window.  Audrey loved following them with her finger.  There is a whole series of bug and Audrey pictures, but I will spare you the majority.  I think she's pretty darn cute, but you may prefer one picture to 30.  That and I couldn't figure out the layout I wanted with two of the other pictures so I deleted them.  Just being honest.



We spent the rest of the evening hanging out on the boat, enjoying the weather, music and scenery.  It really was beautiful.  Driving by the river every day makes me forget how amazing it truly it is.  Beautiful and calming.  A lovely evening.

Charlotte getting a little antsy.  She struggled with napping and being off schedule.  I was pretty proud of her, though. It isn't easy being a scheduled nearly-three-year-old who is suddenly thrown off that schedule!

This gentleman played music during and after dinner.  He was pretty good.  Charlotte and I sat here and listened for awhile.

Isn't this a lovely sunset?  There is nothing like watching the sun rise or set over water.  Just beautiful.


Audrey, communicating with Papa in their language of raspberries.


After we got back to the hotel, Audrey went to bed and Kirk and Debbie disappeared for awhile, so Matt, Charlotte and I played in the lobby.  Charlotte loved watching and riding the "alligator" in the lobby.  It was a glass elevator that overlooked the lobby and dining area.  Up and down.  Up and down.  Constantly.  Whatever makes her happy.




Before we left Hannibal the next day, we spent some time at the museums.  We toured the circuit, checking out the Mark Twain Museum, the boyhood home, and some other spots.  It was neat to see the location that inspired such wonderful literature.  It put a whole new spin on Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn.  It did bug me, however, that they called the house across the street "The Becky Thatcher" home.  Becky wasn't real, she was based on another girl, but the house wasn't named "The (Real Person Becky's Based on but Linda Can't Remember the Name) House".  And "The Huck Finn" house.  Seriously?  Not.Real.People.  Whatever, the homes were still pretty neat to go through.

Watching a film in a stage coach at the first museum.  It took Matt a little while to figure out why he was learning about stage coach travel at a museum for Mark Twain, but put two and two together when I told him this particular museum was about Mark Twain's literary works, not about actual events in his life.  Hello, light bulb.

Charlotte "steering" the museum.  This little room had a big wheel and a steamboat whistle.  Charlotte had a good time as captain.

No comments: