Friday, September 30, 2011

Thirty is close- will I cross everything off my list?

Update from the 30-year-old:  Well, I didn't make it.  I didn't even make it halfway!  But I did a lot of things I'm proud of and more things than I probably would have if I hadn't made the list.  I still have a lot of life ahead of me to finish it off.  I'm actually working on a 30 WHILE 30 list that I will post later this month!

Short answer, no, but I still have time to make more progress!  Here is an update, for anyone who may care.

Baking and Eating
1. Make cinnamon rolls from scratch- Done! Made them Christmas morning.
2. Try 5 new restaurants. (Iron Barley 8/28, Lily's Mexican Restaurant 9/25, City Diner 11/7, Spin 11/26, Crayola Cafe 12/30)
3. Surprise Matt with breakfast in bed. Done! Charlotte and I made him breakfast in bed for his birthday.
4. Make my own gnocchi
5. Make my own cheese.- Done! Made it as a gift for family.
6. Use my fondue pot at least once- Done! Had a fondue/31 party 1/8/11.
7. Make a soufflé that doesn’t suck.  Didn't happen.  I didn't try to make a souffle this year.  Maybe next year!  This was one of the only food related goals I had that I didn't complete.  I wonder if that is directly related to my progress in the next section?

Health and Fitness
1. Run another half-marathon.- Just being honest here, but this ain't happening.  This will be a goal for next year, though.
2. Run a race pushing each of my girls. -  See above.
3. Reach my goal weight. (On track. I've joined WW and according to suggested healthy weight loss, I can meet my goal weight the week before I turn 30. Time to get going!  UPDATE:  Not going to happen, but I can be over halfway there.  Any loss is good loss, so I'm not going to beat myself up over this one.  FINAL UPDATE: I made some real good progress on this one.  I'm on track to be there by this summer.  Thank goodness for Weight Watchers!)

Home Improvement and Craftiness
1. Finish the basement!   Closer, ever closer.  The tile is up, but needs to be grouted.  Shower installed.  All that's left is one final sanding on the drywall, painting, laying the floor, installing baseboards, and installing the vanity and toilet.  I say "all", but it is totally feasible to get this done by my birthday.  We did it!  The only thing remaining is the baseboards, but we are living down there, the final inspection is completed and passed, and we use the bathroom!  It.is.awesome.
2. Finish Charlotte’s first year scrapbook. (In progress. I'm almost up through Christmas!)  Nope.  Not done.  But I did make more progress than I otherwise would have.
3. Finish wedding scrapbook.  I'm going to say this is unlikely.  I might finish Charlotte's, though.  Didn't finish this one, either
4. Finish Charlotte's cross-stitch. (In progress. I'm almost finished with the border and then only have accents to do.)  SO. FREAKING.  CLOSE.  I will finish this thing if it kills me!
5. Start Audrey’s first year scrapbook.  Nope.  Poor girl.
6. Print, frame and hang family pictures for the picture wall.   I bought a LivingSocial deal to help me out here and it expires 10/12, so I'll get to the print and frame part at least by then.  Then I just have to hang them!  Done!
7. Sew a dress for both girls.  Sewing machine is in the house, but not accessible right now, so this may prove difficult.  If #1 on this list happens, this is next in line.  FINAL UPDATE:  Nope.  Still trying to figure out how to thread the machine.  I did, however, find the old manual online, so hopefully this winter I'll be able to spend some time figuring it out.
8. Make the throw pillows for our new bedroom.  See above.
9. Decorate the girls room. (In progress. We've moved all of our stuff out and their stuff in, so I'm getting there! UPDATE: I just have to hang a few pictures and their room is finished!)  Done, but there is a caveat.  It is going to be redone since we have the frame for Charotte's bed now.  I think she's ready to have the mattress set off the floor now, so this winter there will be some more rearranging.

Travel
1. Take a weekend trip with Matthew.  Nope.  None with just him.  It is hard to find the time!
2. Take the girls camping.  Done!  We went with friends 9/17/11.

Loving St. Louis
1. Go to the Farmer’s Market at least once a month, even in the winter. (Failed in August and September, but went in October. Failed in November and December. Not doing so great on this one...  Let's be honest.  It's just FAILED.)
2. Take the girls to the Great Forrest Park Balloon Glow.  Ended up scheduling the camping trip the same weekend as this.  So we sat in the traffic for it, but didn't actually see it.
3. Plan a block party.- COMPLETED 10/30/10!!!
4. Attend Our Lady of Sorrows Carnival- Won't be able to do this one, so I'm editing it to be any one of the local carnivals. We'll be out of town for Sorrows' carnival.  UPDATE:  Went to one 6/4/11. 
5. Take the girls up the arch.  Didn't get to this, either.  I will, though!
6. Take our family on a picnic.  Sort of.  We packed one, but ended up eating in the car because it was too cold.  Does that count?

Making Me Better
1. Read 10 new books that are not work related. (Started Me Talk Pretty One Day, FINISHED House Rules by Jodi Picoult, Started 100 years of Solitude, FINISHED Vampire University 2/1/11, FINISHED The New York Reginal Mormon Singles Halloween Dance 1/12/11; FINISHED In the Sanctuary of Outcasts by Neil White; FINISHED Gaspipe: Confessions of a Mafia Boss 4/7/11)  Didn't make this one.  I did, however, finish A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Future a week after my birthday, so I was more than half way.  My mom and dad bought me a Kindle for my birthday, though, so I'm hoping I'll get even more reading in while I'm 30.
2. Update blog at least once a week.- Doing much better.  I've been pretty good about this lately.  I'm calling this good enough.  I did far better updating this year than last and that was really the goal.  I think on average I posted once a week.
3. Get a picture with just my girls. Completed 11/28- thank you, Meredith!

No comments: